Friday, May 07, 2010

The Great Gatsby

Hey Bloggers!  Just wanted to change it up today by posting some of my random doodles instead of the usual cafe sketches.  Two things I really love are old pictures and books...They fuel the imagination and are really great inspirations for costume design and character details. 

One site that I go to quite often is SHORPY.  They've got really great old photographs from different eras scanned in at super hi-resolution.  I was scanning through the site the other day and saw these two pictures.   For some reason, the book "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald went through my mind so I decided to do some doodles based off these two photographs.  

This could, perhaps be the book's narrator, Nick Carraway, the young 29 year old who is the neighbor to the enigmatic Jay Gatsby... 

Next up is this photograph of  three women on a miniature car.  Their hairstyles and carousing attitudes really spoke volumes and just made me want to draw them!  As you can see from the drawing below, I pretty much took the pose of the girl on the left and tweaked it a bit...
In Fitzgerald's novel,  this woman would have been Daisy Buchanan, Nick's lively cousin, long believed to have been inspired by Fitzgerald's love affair with a Chicago heiress!
She does look like a "Daisy" wouldnt you say! Hope you all enjoyed this post and be on the lookout for more!

2 comments:

JM said...

Great sketches, and the new look looks good.

DAVID WILSON said...

Chris, you've just made me a very happy man, that will lose several hours of his life to a vacuum-ous website.

I have a collection of all types of stuff from about 1910-1940's. It's a beautiful generation that produced a remarkable body of accomplishments.

And these characters certainly feed a multitude of story ideas.

See you round. thanks again for last semester.